Land of ancient settlements, Tenuta Monacelli & Masseria Giampaolo share age-old history, witnessed by the medieval stone towers, the 16th century patio gardens, ancient olive groves, and historical stone olive mills, whose presence goes back centuries.
The estate's manor farms were accurately restored after extensive historical research. Restauration efforts were successful in preserving the noble charm of the ancient dwellings of the Salentofarmlands, while upgrading the facilities with modern amenities.
Tenuta Monacelli, Masseria Giampaolo, and Masseria Li Ronzi were originally part of one single estate, the tenuta, now open to guests who wish to experience magical atmospheres, authentic wellness and relaxation, surrounded by modern comfort.
Below are a few references to the history of the estate, broken down by property sections, by Aldo Caputo.
Exquisite manor estate, located north-east of Lecce, with closed-courtyard system, originally comprised of Tower, mill, animal pens, and garden well. The estate was owned by the Cigala family, barons of Castro, but in 1775, it shows up in a list of properties owned by the Convent of the Dominican Fathers of San Giovanni D’Ajmo, Order of the Preachers. This considerable estate included sixteen enclosures for a total area of over 320 tomoli, which contained 11,423 olive trees for a total value of 481 mills, 177 live oaks and 100 fig trees... (More Details in PDF)
In 1608 it shows up as property of the Tafuri, who, in 1616, sells it to Giandomenico Cigala for 7800 ducats. It is subsequently inherited by Cigala's son Bernardino.
The large manor farm was originally known as “GioPaulo.” By this time, in addition to the tower complex, it comprised: “eight single-storey homes, huts, well and mill, dove housing, two gardens with common trees, oven, and working mill.” A fenced-in establishment built around the tower, central location of the establishment from where all activities are managed... (More Details in PDF)
Masseria Li Ronzi
In the 1700's, the estate was part of the feud of San Giovanni. Feu-duties were paid by Pascale and Pietro Nicola Cerasini, who owned respectively two-thirds and one-third of the total land. A typical manor house whose tower complex, originally equipped with external stairway and drawbridge, was the building from where all farming activities were managed. In need of future restoration.